Friday, June 12, 2009

Regumbah's French Market



I was SO fortunate this week to go with my friend Sharon to a tasting party at Ragumbah's beautiful home in Laguna Beach. What started out as as simple, "Hey, Jennie, you should come to this lady's house tomorrow, it will be fun!" turned into one of the best days I've had all summer!

Most of you know that I have worked part-time at Williams-Sonoma doing sales and cooking classes, and that I have a growing fondness for cooking and all things kitchen related. So, when I showed up with Sharon and learned I got to taste all kinds of special French sirops (syrups) and confits (jellies), I got very excited. Ragumbah is the exclusive importer of these fancy syrups and jellies direct from the maker in France. Her products are in some stores in Laguna Beach and she also sells from her website as well.



What an experience! Even getting to see Regumbah's interesting house was a treat, and that was only the beginning! These French syrups are made using ancient methods in copper pots and are infused with floral essences and oils. They are very subtle but for those with a discerning palette, they are heavenly. We began by tasting some of the floral syrup flavors mixed with some plain Greek yogurt--delicious! Next, Ragumbah handed us crackers spread with creamy goat cheese and with the confit--again, a wonderful flavor. The BEST way to taste them, however, was the sorbets--she and her daughter make sorbets from the syrups combining them in interesting ways, like lemon and violet, or grapefruit and geranium. Heavenly! Other uses for these oils are to add a hint of flavor to whipped cream (or frostings), to make specialty salad dressings, or to flavor champagne to make delicious cocktails.

So, of course when it came to the end of Sharon and I choosing what to purchase, we were torn, but settled on some items for ourselves and to give as gifts to special people we know. So...a couple of you (who probably don't read this, lol) may be receiving some of these in the near future.


Tonight, I came home and began using my selections immediately! I have used my poppy infused syrup in my bottled water (just a few drops and it is so much tastier to drink, and hardly any calories). I made a salad dressing with the poppy syrup that is hands down my favorite dressing--light and refreshing, perfect for summer (recipe will be listed below). I used a tablespoon of the confit, warmed in in the microwave, and drizzled it on my fresh strawberries and blueberries. Then, I used the matching poppy syrup and put a hint of it in the fresh whipped cream I made. Each item was to die for! Amazing flavor, and really added a lot to the dishes, although it is subtle it is very unique and tasty. I just love these!

Yay to Regumbah and her small French import business! I have a feeling that these are going to be popular gifts for friends and family!

Poppy Dressing

*1/2 oz white wine vinegar (of your choice)
*1 oz grapeseed oil (milder flavor than olive or other oils)
*1 tsp Sirop Coquelicot (poppy) from Ragumbah's French Market
*1/8 tsp salt (as an emulsifier)
*1/4 tsp poppy seeds

Combine all ingredients in a cruet and mix throoughly. Dresses a salad for 4. Double or triple for a larger salad.

1 comment:

Brittani said...

You do cooking classes!!!!!!!!!!! ahhh! Jenny! I am starting to get into cooking! do you have a foodbuzz.com account? If you dont you should join you would love it. If you do tell me and I will add you as a friend...we need to swap recipes.