Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Great Deal from Craigslist!


So...with the re-painting starting to happen (the kitchen is finished and one wall of the living room as a "test wall" is getting done on Friday), all of the living room furniture is in the center of the room. My roommate said yesterday when we were cleaning everything in preparation for painting that it looks like we're moving...kind of funny, considering I had two huge moves in less than one year.


Looking at the room differently is now making me look at some of the furniture differently. My roommate had suggested turning the couch in a different orientation to maximize on the size of the room a while back, so when the painting finishes, I think it would be nice to try that and see how it looks. If we do that though, I was afraid that the coffee table (which is long and skinney) may look too small for the area--in fact, the way it is designed, I've thought about sitting it in the entry way and looking at it because it kind of could be a "bench" for taking off shoes, etc., but that just depends upon if it fits.


Either way, thinking about the coffee table has gotten me to looking at other coffee tables on Craigslist. Las night, I found an AWESOME coffee table that was larger (square) AND had storage drawers underneath. The owner who posted it said that it was super heavy (not cheaply made) and solid wood. The color was wrong but I often paint things, so I believe that if I painted it black, it would look FABULOUS with the other furniture in there and help fill a very LONG living room (decorating trick...room is too large, use some oversized furniture to fill it and it looks evenly proportioned).


I went over to look at the coffee table today and it was MUCH nicer than it looked originally in the picture. Very heavy, very well taken care of, and nice style. the drawer pulls were black and the drawers had metal guides along the sides almost like file cabinet drawers--very nicely made piece of furniture. So I bought it from her for $25 (if it doesn't work out, I know I can re-sell it for more), and I'm going to paint it up black and see how it looks. That is, when I get is home because it wouldn't fit in my car :-(. I'll figure out a way to get it home so that I can work on painting it. It was a super great price for the weight and look of the table though--I've seen similar ones at Goodwill that I could have painted up that were marked at higher prices.


So...look for future pictures on how this coffee table looks painted up and placed with the other furniture in the living room!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I liked it, you can find more Solid Wood Furniture from spacify.